FAQ 122
What are personal tutors?

Within the first few weeks of arriving at University, your department will allocate you a personal tutor. This will be a member of academic staff in your department dedicated to helping you reach your full potential. They'll be there to support you with any difficulties you may be experiencing and they'll also point you in the right direction for specialist help or additional skills development you may be interested in.

Your personal tutor is likely to be the same person throughout your degree, although this may change if your personal tutor goes on research leave. If this occurs, you'll be allocated a replacement by your department.

If you are a Dual Honours student, your personal tutor will be from your home department (normally whichever of your subjects is first alphabetically). Your second department may also have a member of academic staff with responsibilities for dual degree students who you can contact as well.

Your personal tutor will organise to meet you periodically during your time at University to discuss how you are getting on and if you have any concerns. However, if you are experiencing difficulties, you don't have to wait for your scheduled meeting to talk to them, you can contact them by phone or email.

It is important to meet your personal tutor early on in your programme so you know who to go to if you have a problem.

More information on personal and academic support can be found here: